Saturday, July 31, 2010

Knockel Reunion

Yep, it's that time again. The old Cascade family with the funny name is putting out the call.

The beer is cold, the fly paper is hanging and as usual, the Giegerich cousins don't really know too many people.

Adam says to label this one, Too Much Sugar.
The brownies plate was just too available for little fingers.




Food, Glorious Food. This is the best feed I've ever had at a picnic. Irene has her homegrown green beans (she's already canned 22 quarts and she's planting a new crop every two weeks! These women are incredible!) Cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, macaroni salad, broccoli salad, cherry marshmallowy salad, three kinds of beans, chicken wings, other chicken parts, too, and eight pounds of sloppy joes. Actually, ten pounds. Someone else brought them, too. And cheesy potatoes - it is official - I am in heaven. And pies, the true test of a farmer's wife's baking ability and these ladies wrote the book.






Sonny fills his plate and still has room for three pieces of pie.










Mmmpf, shrmf, mjmfll.




Children fishing. No bites although there was a sign that said 15 inch minimum on any bass caught.

I think the owners of the park posted it to entice more customers.






The euchre game in progress. That's Rita and Helen. You all know the old guy on the right and those three youngsters are here to do a photo shoot for a Hollywood modeling agency.






There really was fly paper. I can remember eating supper at Elmer's farm years ago. There would be several roasters filled with the best-smelling chicken I had ever eaten. They were fresh and just butchered that morning. Elmer would tell how the slaughtering went as I sunk my teeth into a juicy chicken part. And there was always those rolls of fly paper hanging above the tables.
I believe Dad had a good day. He seemed light-hearted and glad to be with everyone. His pants were hanging on him. We need to monitor more closely.

Anybody know what to do with seven pounds of sloppy joes, anybody?






3 comments:

MrDaveyGie said...

Your father is a eating machine. Oh wait, that's my dad too.

Carrie Merrick said...

I heard the brownies were extra good.

dawn marie giegerich said...

I would't know. By the time I got there they were gone. I was stuck with those dumb old homemade pies . . .